Phoenix Ignition
Phoenix Ignition
Phoenix Ignition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RegisterHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Beta Weekend 6-5-12
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 pm by Anoman

» Prerelease Recruitment
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm by Anoman

» Release Date?!?
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 2:38 pm by Dyxin

» Trying out a new hosting site
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:49 pm by Anoman

» Holy freaking awesome!!!!
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:42 pm by Anoman

» Realm of the Mad God
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 9:46 pm by Anoman

» Thoughts and opinions.
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 8:45 pm by Anoman

Poll
What night(s) works best for Warzone night?
Monday
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty0%The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Tuesday
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty0%The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
 0% [ 0 ]
Wednesday
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty22%The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
 22% [ 2 ]
Thursday
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty44%The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
 44% [ 4 ]
Friday
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty11%The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
 11% [ 1 ]
Saturday
The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty11%The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
 11% [ 1 ]
Sunday
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Most Viewed Topics
Ranks discussion
Guardian or Defiant?
Beta Weekend 6-5-12
Ali's story thread
Free PI Stickers!
Regular Group setup
Podcast!!!
Risen From the Ashes
Top 5 Movies of All Time!
Top 5 Bands All Time

The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Smartiepants
Admin
Smartiepants

Renown : 245

The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Empty
PostSubject: The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting   The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am

So after much research and in game testing I have found I few things that I feel would be very helpful for people to know about focus targets.

If you set things up right you should be able to effectively handle juggling 3 targets (including yourself)

1. Ensure Focus Targeting is enabled in your settings. It can be found in Preferences
- Controls

2. Check Your Hotkeys in the Targeting Section to ensure setting a focus is easy (this is less important than the next couple of steps being withing a fingers reach)

3. Ensure that the Focus Target Modifier and self target modifier are easily reachable and convenient to use.

Basically here is how it works:

To cast on yourself regardless of your target you hold down your "Self Target Modifier" and cast.
Likewise to case on your focus target you use your "Focus Target Modifier"

The Result:

As a healer I can setup three people (including myself) to simulatanuisly heal if I go about this correctly.
The same works for DPS you can setup two targets and use your hotkeys to attack both.

Effectiveness:

For healing it is obvious the usefulness is endless.
For DPS I see it more as a CC manager in Flashpoints and stuff like that. Or possibly setting a healer to your focus in PvP so as soon as they are within sight you can easily start hammering away at them.

This is a crazy utility that works very differently than in other games but has great potential when mastered.
Back to top Go down
https://pigaming.forumotion.com/
Anoman
Admin
Anoman

Renown : 603

PostSubject: Re: The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting   The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Great Post! I have been playing around with the different targeting and getting better at it. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
aspect

aspect

Renown : 39

PostSubject: Re: The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting   The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 4:27 pm

This is fantastic, thanks. I've never played a healer in any game so still getting the hang of these tricks...
Back to top Go down
Fanderay

Renown : 2

PostSubject: Re: The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting   The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 1:04 am

At this point I'm pretty much just using focus to keep an eye on healers in warzones, but I'm not actually using a modifier actively. I've done it and loved it in other games, but currently so many of my abilities are already Shift+something that it's a bit of a fumble to get a third key in there. Thankfully I've done my time as a healer, and I won't be going back!

I do find that targeting in general feels a bit glitchy in this game sometimes. I almost always Tab target, but occasionally I get weird results (like targeting a mob behind me while there's 10 in front of me). I think WoW permanently ingrained in me a certain sense of what should get targeted, and unfortunately any system that works even slightly differently throws me for a loop. As a result, I invariably end up doing stupid things, like stunning some bystander in huttball while the other team scores.

What I'm most excited about in 1.2 is target of target! I find it particularly handy tanking or in pvp, because as soon as my target switches targets, I can take control of the situation (or at least attempt to).
Back to top Go down
Kamuiteka

Kamuiteka

Renown : 32

PostSubject: Re: The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting   The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 1:57 am

I agree target of target is a tanks best friend. It was almost impossible for me to tank without it because I had gotten so used to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting   The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The trickiness of Targeting and using focus targetting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Phoenix Ignition :: Star Wars: The Old Republic :: General Conversation-
Jump to: